Sunday, July 27, 2008

Memories of a first race






Reflection on 12 week Learn to Run Clinic with Greg.

-week #1, started with 1 min. running and 2 min. walking

-week #12, 10 min. running and 1 min. walking

-Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition - the most important part

-exciting and exhausting

-positive thoughts only

-must have running shoes for running only

-keep your head up - especially on hills

-heel toe, heel toe

-pump your arms, feet will follow

-Keep Hydrated

-Keep smiling



My Current regime - weight training 2xweek, run 3xweek

My goal was to run my first 5K race. As a person who never ran before and
not an athlete, learning to run with Greg at my side was always positive,
encouraging me with constant feedback during training sessions. Each
session I set the pace and he kept that pace for me, when I was tiring I
knew to keep pumping my arms and the feet will follow. When I started this
journey in 2006 I was overweight and unfit, and through your nutrition
counselling I lost 60 lbs in 9 months and became physically fit. I have
learned to step outside my comfort zone and try new things. When I am now
asked to try something new, I never say no, usually I say yes and give it a
try and see where the journey take me. My current goal was to learn how to
run and this was achieved, 5K run, July 26 at Whitby Waterfront 38.05 min
with you by my side. Next goal 10K with the best nutrition possible, can't
wait to get started.

Greg, thanks your patience, professionalism and expertise in nutrition and
running. I now know anyone can learn to run at any age.

The journey continues, stay tuned.

Karen Macfarlane

My Motto - Want it, Own it , Do it.

No comments: