Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What lies next for me?

We become what we think about all day long.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

These last few weeks without a race have given me lots of time to think about what goal I want to accomplish between now and the end of my racing season in November. I have already earmarked a 6 hour race in early August and then comes my biggest decision to date. I have been strongly encouraged to attempt another 100 mile in Haliburton. Each year I have increased the distance at that race and my thought was this year to do the 50 Miler. Even though I made the right decision to stop running at Sulphur after 69 Miles, a part of me is still feeling guilty for not finishing. It's easy to look back now and say that but at the time of the race I made the smart decision. However, my competitive spirit still tells me that I should have toughed it out. Had I done that, I wouldn't be thinking about doing another 100 Miler but now I am.

There is still time to find a running crew who will help me and I have enough good friends who would surely lend their support. The decision really lies within me and how badly I want to erase the memory of that last race. Can I afford to wait until next May or should I attempt another 100 miler in September? Stay tuned.....

No comments: