Saturday, July 26, 2008

This decision was easy

After a great trail run and an even better conversation with my trail running friends who I look up, my decision to enter the 100 Mile Haliburton race was an easy one. I will attempt another 100 miler and this will be no easy feet (pardon the pun). Thankfully I have secured some incredible support for my endeavour and I'll be needing them every step of the way.

I feel like my training is where it needs to be and my diet has never been better. I've been switching to eating more of a Vegan type diet and eliminating many foods such as flour, even whole wheat, and as I result I'm running much better and look leaner than I have in months.

My goal is to run the Haliburton race at 150 pounds and right now I am 9 pounds away from that goal. There should be no reason that I can't hit that target weight even when the training starts to decline as the race becomes closer.

What I need to start doing is to practice walking for long stretches of time. This is one thing that I didn't do for my Sulphur race and it really cost me as a result. Tomorrow I will be running 15-20 miles (haven't decided yet) and then I'll do a 2 hour walk in the Rouge Valley later in the afternoon.

I am so fortunate to have amazing friends who not only inspire me but also motivate me to do more and more. Even three years after I started running I still didn't think that I belonged in their inner circle. I know realize that I do and that is a nice feeling to have. The friends who I run with are in their 50's and 60's and we they joked about how I should be kicking their butts on the trails. They have no idea of the amount of respect I have for them as they have already done things that I probably will never do. Two of them will be running the same race as I am and another 2 will be helping to pace me at night. I couldn't have asked for anything better than that.

No comments: