Thursday, February 21, 2008

Understanding what it takes to be an Ultra Marathoner

The woman who changed my life and who got me hooked on running was an amazing trail/ultra marathon runner. Angie would get up early in the morning to make sure that she got her run in. Her weekends were consumed with running distances. I remember admiring her dedication. Nothing seemed to get in her way. At the time that I met her, she was training for something called the "Ultimate Canuck." This consisted of running a 50K trail race on Saturday and then 42K on Sunday. I saw the type of pain she went through but I also got to see how happy she was because she was doing something that she loved to do.

Although I rarely see her now, I feel that she has given me an amazing gift. During my run today, it really started to click for me with regards to the training I'm doing now. I thought about how I seem to have developed into a runner and how much my life now mimics Angie's in many respects. I had no idea that I would be doing what I'm doing now but it just seems like the natural progression for me. I've done 1/2 Marathons, Marathons, 50K trail and road races and now I'm training for a 50 Mile race. Whereas other runners may be consumed with improving their marathon times or trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon, I'm more interested in running further and further.

This weekend I'm heading to St. Catherines to run with a good friend. She is also an ultra marathoner and we will be running 50K together. It should be interesting because she prefers to run by herself as I do. That's my idea of a "mini vacation" (LOL). It will include 2 runs, great conversation, plenty of food and plenty of laughs. Now if I can only make it to St. Catherines without getting lost........

No comments: