Saturday, February 09, 2008

My favorite place to run......

I've often talked about how much more I enjoy trail running than running on the road. Here are some of the reasons why:







Despite the very challenging run this morning, I would not have traded the experience I had for anything. The snow was knee high at some points and since nobody had gone before us, we were forced to make our own tracks in the snow. Whenever my normal running motion is compromised, like today, I always feel soreness in areas where I normally would not (calves, hip flexors). The hardest part I found was getting my breathing down. It was such a workout that I was having a hard time catching my breath. Walking up hills in deep snow was as difficult as running was and while we took plenty of breaks, it was mentally a very challenging run. We ran for 1 hour and 40 minutes but covered only half of the amount of the course that we usually would do in that same time.

Still, the Seaton Trail is one of the most breathtaking places to run in, even in the winter, and I'm fortunate enough to live so close to it. Sometimes it's not about how far you go but how hard you have to work to get there. Today was one of those days where effort was the leader and distance took a backseat.

Thanks Ken!







(The Seaton Trail on a warmer day......)

No comments: