Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Finding balance can be tough at times

Yesterday I posted what my typical weekly training program looks like. After looking at it myself, I quickly realized that there really isn't much time available for anything but training. What I didn't post was the fact that my early morning training program means that I need to get to bed early, sometimes 8:30 or 9:00 PM. A "treat" for me is sleeping in until 6:00 AM. I've also been paying pretty close attention to my diet and have recently started to use things like powdered calcium, hemp seeds, concentrated powdered fruits, and more green vegetables. I want my body to be as physically prepared as possible.

The weight training program I'm doing is specifically designed to improve my core strength and although my legs felt a little "heavy" during my 10 mile run today, I know it's going to help in the long run.

Coming off an emotionally charged weekend, it was interesting to see how I would do today. I was surprised at how much faster I was able to run today. It seems that every run I have with Ken, though, is my fastest run of the week. Because my training has been mostly about improving my long distance running, I haven't done any speed work in months. I'm sure I would be humbled quickly if I tried to run a fast race but then again, it's not something that I believe will help me prepare for the Seaton Trail race.

What made this past weekend so special was that I was able to talk to fellow runners who understand my passion and realize how hard the training is that I'm doing. Try as I do, it's hard for me to find balance at this point of my training. Ken and I talked about trying to find other distractions so that I don't get too consumed with the race. That will probably be my biggest challenge that I face between now and the time the gun sounds to start my race in April. Outside of my kids, my focus has never been as clear as it is now. It's something that I talk to my clients about on a regular basis. Once you have a picture in your mind of what your goal is, don't let anything or anyone get in the way of achieving that.

No comments: