Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"Run Down" but still running down a dream

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired." - Jules Renard

I suppose it would have been easy for me to not run this morning. I've been battling a cold and it feels like I have this "dead weight" on the top of my forehead which stretches down to my nose. Yesterday I literally felt like I was in a daze. After loading up on some soup for most of the day and an early night (8:30), all I could think about was running.

Sunday's run, although not as long as previous weeks, still was challenging enough that it left me feeling tired for most of the day. After taking my usual Monday off, I knew that I had to run today. With my race 9 weeks away and counting, I really can't afford to take any time off.

As I awoke this morning at 4:30, I felt a little better but still a little foggy. That was ironic because when I checked the weather forecast it was also foggy with a light rain. The temperature was 2 degrees so I decided to wear shorts, light shirt and my running jacket.

The run was better than expected and although it was tough at times, I'm glad that I went out. There were parts of the run where we ended up getting soaked along the bike path and another time when I truck sped by us and splashed us both pretty good.

Deciding on whether to push yourself or to take it easy is an individual decision and you have to know your body pretty well. In my case I also know my mind very well and the thought of not running today was something that I wasn't prepared to do.

No comments: