Monday, February 11, 2008

A positive "high" can last a long time

There's not much that I cannot relate to with regards to running. Every mile I run further than before makes me stronger mentally and physically. It also has a trickle down effect on other aspects of my life.

As I made it to work this morning I made sure I told whoever would listen, about my running adventure on Sunday. I got the same puzzled look each time. Most think I'm crazy but I know that they also realize how difficult it is to do.
I don't do this looking for attention but what it does is to keep my positive momentum going. I've been able to convince so many clients to give running a try and this in turn gives me a satisfaction that I'm passing on my gift to others just as it was passed on to me.

I'm surrounded by trainers who probably couldn't run a mile if their life depended on it so I take pride in the fact that I can do things that they can't (even though I'm twice as old as some of the trainers).

I've been able to use the positive momentum from yesterday as a conversation piece for my clients. My main focus has been on dealing with our inner demons. It's the voice in our head which tries to convince us to make the unhealthy food choice, stop going to the gym, or in my case, stop running. Everyone can relate to this and as I was talking to my clients today I could see that they were grasping what I was explaining to them.

My positive momentum is so strong right now that I even did an hour of weights. This is something that I haven't done in months and I'm glad that I did. As a runner, it's always been a question of whether weight training will help or hurt my running. I've read so many conflicting studies that I've decided to try a little bit at a time and see what happens.

No comments: