Friday, February 22, 2008

There is nothing that you cannot accomplish

One of the things I love the most about my job is that I get to see my clients overcome obstacles in their life on their way to achieving their personal goals. I've often found it interesting that for some reason people find it easier to achieve success in the other aspects of their life but when it comes to health goals, they find that most difficult. I've seen some of the most driven people in the world have a hard time sticking to a specific meal plan and exercise routine, even if they know it will almost assuredly get them the goals they want.

In the business world they wouldn't dare do something that would jeopardize their chances of moving up the corporate ladder but they have a hard time disciplining themselves in other areas of their lives. You have to decide how important your health is to you and when you realize that without a proper mind, body and spirit you will eventually burn yourself out in other areas of your life. You can get away with a poor diet for only so long before eventually your body will say enough is enough. Unfortunately many people wait until this point before deciding that they need to change their lives. For some, the price they pay for waiting this long could cost them their lives.

Whenever a client asks me if they think they can accomplish their goals I immediately answer YES! The first part of achieving a goal is to define what that goal is and then deciding how important that goal is to you. Once you make a commitment to that, the next step is having a plan that works. As a lifestyle coach, I feel I do a great job of motivating someone to continue but I cannot "get" someone motivated. This has to come from within. It's that little voice in your head that tells you how important your goal is to you. What I provide is the necessary encouragement and proper plan, to keep you going.

I've had clients who I know are really not motivated to do what I'm trying to get them to do. To be perfectly honest, I try not to spend too much time with them because until they themselves realize that these goals are important, there's not much that I can do. Eventually some of these clients do come around but I've come to realize that not everyone wants what they say they want or at the very least, they are not willing to put in the hard work necessary to get the job done. There is no substitute to hard work so if you are willing to do whatever is necessary to get the job done then you will succeed.

No comments: