Thursday, February 07, 2008

The benefits of running at 5 AM

Thanks to yet another dumping of snow I knew that the sidewalks would not be a place to run this morning so I decided to run along Church Street and do an "out and back."
My goal was to avoid as many cars as possible and thankfully there weren't too many on the streets at 5 AM as I headed south along Church Street.

However, the return trip wasn't as nice. There are times when I'm running that I swear a car will purposely come as close to me as possible, even when there is no other cars on the road. In any event, I'm not in a position to be playing "chicken" with them so I have to force myself to the sides of the road to avoid getting hit. I've had friends who have told me that they have been "pushed" to the snow banks by oncoming cars. I really don't understand the mentality there but I believe in karma so what goes around comes around.

One of my clients suffered an injury yesterday and will be unable to do some of the things that she loves to do for several weeks. I immediately thought about how I would handle such a situation. It's hard for me to imagine myself not running for an extended period of time. Then again, if someone had told me 5 years ago that I'd be running daily instead of lifting weights I probably would have laughed. We need to adapt to whatever is thrown at us because worrying about things that we have no control over or cannot change, isn't going to change the situation that we are in. Overcoming obstacles is something that we all have had to do at various times in our lives. It's like my football coach used to tell me, "It's alright to get knocked down but it's not alright to stay down!"

No comments: