Thursday, February 14, 2008

It's nice to ride that positive wave

Ever since my long run on Sunday morning, I've been on an emotional high. It's had a huge impact on my running this week. I suppose it has something to do with overcoming my own personal demons and not quitting but honestly, I'm trying not to look for too many answers. Instead, I'm just enjoying the ride.

I believe in fate and also that things happen for a reason. I know it's cliché, and we've all used that phrase to make us feel better whenever something goes wrong in our personal or professional life, but I really do believe in it. Whenever I get into these "grooves" I like to run as often as possible. I had a hard time sleeping last night as I couldn't wait until the clock showed 4:00 AM so I could get up and prepare for my 5 AM run.

The run that I had this morning was something that I like to call "majestic." Every song that came on my mp3 seemed to carry me further and further. Every time I should have stopped for a quick walk break I found that I just couldn't do it. Whereas, there are some runs where I simply have to stop for a brief moment, it's almost as if my mind was telling me to keep running. What surprised me more than anything else was the fact that I found that I was running faster than I've run all week.

It will be hard to not run tomorrow morning so I may forego a day off and run even though I have a scheduled day off. If I run tomorrow I'll take Saturday off and then run my 40 K on Sunday morning.

I've been thinking about that run almost all week. I know that by running alone it will force me to dig down deeper than I'd have to if I had some company. However, I think that by doing this, it will better prepare me for my trail race on April 19th. The lesson I've learned through all of this? Don't be afraid to lean on the one person most important in your life.....the person staring back at you in the mirror!

No comments: