Monday, February 25, 2008

An inside look at my training program

It wasn't until about 3 weeks ago when I was able to overcome some terrible weather conditions to finish my 36K run. Ever since that run I've been on a "high" and my training hasn't looked back. I've been able to kick things up a notch and my life seems to revolve around my training and not much more these days. I'm not complaining because it's something that I knew was going to happen when I decided to do a 50 mile run. This was re-affirmed over the weekend as I was talking with my friends who both have completed 50 Mile races.

Here is my weekday training program:
Monday (5:00 AM): Circuit Weight training
3 sets of 30 of Chest Press, Bent Over Rows, Crunches on a stability ball rest
3 sets of 30 of 1-Leg squats, Lunges, Single Leg Extensions, Single Leg Curls
3 sets of 30 of Arm Curls, Lying Tricep Extensions, Crunches
3 sets of 30 of Shoulder Lateral Raises, Stiff Legged Deadlifts, Leg Raises

This workout takes about 1 hour to complete and I try to use the stability ball as much as possible to improve my core strength

Tuesday (5:45 AM): 10 Mile Run (16 K's)
This run tends to be my fastest run of the week

Wednesday (5:45 AM): 8 to 9 Mile Run at a comfortable pace

Thursday (5:00 AM): 8 to 9 Mile Run at a comfortable pace

Friday (5:00 AM): Repeat of weight workout. I may vary some of the exercises but the workout still takes about an hour to complete

Saturday (7:00 AM or 5:00 AM): This Run will either be a trail run for 2 hours or a 8-9 mile run depending on if I have my kids that particular weekend.

Sunday (6:00 AM): This is my long slow run. My schedule for the next 8 weeks will be as follows:
2.5 Hour Run (March 2nd)
3 Hour Run (March 9th)
3.5 Hour Run (March 16th)
4 Hour Trail Run (March 23rd)
3 Hour Run (March 30th)
2 Hour Run (April 6th)
1 Hour Run (April 13th)
Race Day April 19th

No comments: