Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New shoes........same attitude!

After my long run on Sunday I retired my old shoes so this morning was my first run in my new ones. I never know how they are going to "feel" for that first run. By the time I need a new pair of shoes I look at the bottom of them and find out just how badly they are worn down. I swear that sometimes it feels like I'm running with my bare feet because of the lack of cushioning I get from the shoes. A good sign for me that tells me that I need new shoes is that my plantar fasciitis starts to act up. I'm alwasy reluctant to type this as I fear I'm putting a jinx on myself BUT I've been so lucky not to have any injuries to speak of as of late. There will always be the muscle soreness and such but really nothing that will prevent me from
running.

As I was running with my friend today I learned that his running partner has injured herself. I hope she has a speedy recovery because she has been training for an Ultra race in the spring.

Yesterday I met a client who's father in law is a running hero of mine. I'll never forget the first time I went trail running in the Seaton Trail. He was one of the founders of the Seaton Trail Mud Puppies and I felt "adopted" right away. It was great working with her but I also learned that he has also injured himself and hasn't been running in months. This is a man who lives and breathes running much like I do. I remember talking to Ken about injuries and he told me that a very high percentage of people get injured at some point within the first 18 months that they start running. It's amazing that a sprort that brings so much enjoyment to so many people can be instantly taken away.

I'd like to think that I take good care of myself and that starts with having a sound nutrition plan. I also think that as I'm learning more about the sport, I'm becoming a smarter runner. The endurance training I'm doing now puts more stress on my joints as I'm asking my body to run longer and longer each time out. I know that when race day comes, I'll be putting myself through something that I know I'll be paying for for days later after the race. My main focus is to stay healthy between now and then.

1 comment:

Onlinehandyman said...

It's true - the more that you run, the more stress you are putting on your joints as well as other parts of your body. You need to have all of those parts conditioned. The less conditioned that you are the more subject that you will be to injury.
Also, the type of sneakers that you are wearing makes a big difference.