Sunday, February 17, 2008

Goodbye old friend......it's been a slice!

Last week I picked up my new pair of shoes but I wanted one last run in old pair before I put them to pasture. I must go through about 5 pairs of shoes a year, and each one has a different story.

When I first got into running I was using an extra wide Brooks’s shoe. This shoe was so big and heavy, though; that it's hard to believe I was able to run in them at all. After deciding that the Brooks needed to be replaced, I must have tried several different shoes before I found one that I loved. As soon as I put on the Mizuno Wave Alchemy, I knew it was the shoe for me and I haven't run in any other shoe when I run on the road.

The run that I just completed was my longest run so far and I seemed to have carried the momentum from last Sunday's run because I felt stronger and stronger as the run carried on. The weather today was perfect for running. When I left my house at 6:00AM it was minus 12 degrees but no wind. Throughout the run I never felt cold like I did last week. The better weather seemed to bring out more runners as I passed about 20 of them as I made my way back home. I was able to chat briefly with one or two of them but at the point that I saw them I was 28 K's into my run and I just wanted to keep my focus. Hopefully they didn't take it the wrong way.

I've found that these last two weekends, where I've had to run by myself, has really improved my inner strength. It was amazing how different my mind was today as compared to last week. The only trouble I had was convincing myself to take the necessary walk breaks. I felt so strong that it was hard to stop myself from running. However, I have to remember that come race day, I'll appreciate the fact that I have practiced taking long walk breaks.

There were parts of the run today where I was so happy that I started pumping my fists in the air. Then as I turned the corner of Delaney and Church I let out a big scream as I knew that I had accomplished my goal. I actually added another 1/2 K to the run as I wanted to hear the end of the song that was playing. It was a feeling that is hard to explain but it's the satisfaction of knowing that I did exactly what I wanted to accomplish.

I realized today that I'm going to have to start leaving water at various parts of my running route as I was getting very dehydrated towards the end of the run. I had to conserve as much water as possible as I only brought 2 water bottles with me. While I did have the electrolyte drink and it did provide me with the sugar that I needed, I really was craving for water more than anything else at that point.

Many of my friends who run, ask me how I can run for that long by myself. Many of them have said that the most they could do is about 2 hours. As I was running I thought about how nice it is to run by myself though. I don't have to worry about going at someone else's speed. I can listen to my music without feeling like I'm offending anyone. When I run, and when anyone runs, it's me that's doing the work. Having someone to run beside is nice but it honestly isn't going to make me run faster or further than I know I have to with regards to training for a race. When it comes to the race itself, though, having someone to compete with can be motivating but when I think about the trail race in April, I won't be trying to finish the race in a certain time. It will be about just finishing it in one piece.

When I decided that I wanted to do this type of distance I knew it would be difficult to find a training partner to run with. Most of my friends are trying to improve their Marathon times and won't be running more than 36-38 K's for their long runs. In addition, they would not be doing the kind of run/walk cycles that I need to do for my race.

I actually felt unsure as to whether or not I could do this on my own. Now, having conquered that fear for the past two weeks, I know that I'm capable of doing whatever I need to and I'm not afraid to do it on my own. In fact, at this point, I don't think I want someone to run with for my long runs.

I'm glad I could give my old shoes one last good run and I'm hoping that my new shoes bring me as much support as the last ones did.

Here are the stats from today's run:

Total distance: 25.75 miles (41.5 K's)
Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes and 13 seconds
Total calories burned: 3,125
Total songs on my mp3: 52
Total gels used: 5
Total water bottles used: 2
Total electrolyte bottles used: 2
Total bathroom breaks: 0 (still trying to figure that one out)
Total number of dogs chasing me: 2

1 comment:

Ken said...

you forgot to add to your stats how many times you got lost on the run...lol