Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Create your own footprints and let others follow YOU!

I knew that we were expecting some kind of snowfall this morning and much to my disappointment, I was right. I also knew that the sidewalks wouldn't be ploughed which meant I either had to run on the sidewalks and run in the snow or go on the roads and take my chances with oncoming cars. I decided to stay mostly on the sidewalks but did manage to run a few miles on the road as well.

What made the run on the sidewalks difficult was the fact that the snow was deep enough so that it forced me to pick up my feet more than I normally would do. This puts added strain on the calves and hip flexors (for me anyways). It certainly made for a challenging run. All I kept thinking about was "footprints." One of the things that I've always tried to stress with my children is the importance of being a leader and not a follower. It's so easy for us to follow someone else and then blame them if things go wrong. Being a leader, however, means that the pressure is on you and nobody else.

When it comes to following a healthy eating/exercise plan it's the same thing. Don't look to anyone else to provide you with the motivation because we all have it within ourselves. It's more empowering to know that you can succeed without the help of others. I like to think of outside support as an "added bonus." If it comes that's great, but if it's not there then it shouldn't stop you from achieving your goals.

No comments: