Saturday, February 16, 2008

Remembering the Seaton trail race of 2006




After catching the trail racing "bug" in the fall of 2005, I knew that I wanted to compete in as many trail races in 2006 as I could. The first one on the calendar that year was the Seaton Trail 26 K race. In 2006 it seemed like I was doing a race every other week and being very new to trail running, I really didn't have a clue as to how to train for one. Fortunately I had run in the Seaton trail a few times prior to that race but it really didn't prepare me for how tough it was going to be.

The race was a gruelling "out and back" which meant that I started at the one end, ran 13 K's, turned around and then ran back. Keep in mind that there were people doing the 50 K that same day. By the time I started my race, they had already been out on the course for about an hour. In 2006 there wasn't a 78 K distance like there is now.

I found that course very challenging but rewarding at the same time. It had everything you could ask for in a trail race, lots of challenging climbs, river crossings, rugged terrain, tight corners and breathtaking scenery all rolled into one.

As I look forward to running the 78 K, 9 weeks from today, I have to get as mentally prepared as I will be physically prepared. When it comes to mental preparation it means that I need to keep a positive focus. I tend to avoid negative people as much as possible because I find that their negative energy can start to rub off on me. It's something that, while I'm not perfect at, I like to think I do a good job of. Likewise, if I'm feeling down about something I try to avoid people as much as possible. I know that eventually I'll come out of whatever funk I'm in, usually after a run, but in the meantime I don't want to impose my negativity on anyone else.

Tomorrow I'll be doing my own version of a marathon run through the streets of Ajax/Pickering. If you see a runner tomorrow morning looking like he is singing loudly and wearing a red coat, chances are it will be me.

No comments: