Sunday, February 10, 2008

Today, I am stronger!

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise... it's a consistent reward for victory! Sasha Azevedo

I believe in the runner's high, and I believe that those who are passionate about running are the ones who experience it to the fullest degree possible. To me, the runner's high is a sensational reaction to a great run! It's an exhilarating feeling of satisfaction and achievement. It's like being on top of the world, and truthfully... there's nothing else quite like it!
Sasha Azevedo


Running has never failed to give me great end results, and that's why I keep coming back for more!
Sasha Azevedo

Running is one the best solutions to a clear mind.
Sasha Azevedo


My greatest ideas stem from running.
Sasha Azevedo

Every run is a great run!
Sasha Azevedo


People ask why I run. I say, "If you have to ask, you will never understand". It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels.
Erin Leonard


Today is a day that I will never forget. Although I have done many races, the run I had today and the agony I’m feeling now, is something that I will bottle and forever remember.
Today I discovered that I don’t need anyone to help motivate me during a long run. I also have never had the kind of mental battles that I had today. The wind was so strong going West on the 3rd Concession that I really believed I was going to get frostbite. The pain was so excruciating and with nobody to talk to, my mind kept telling me to turn around and go back home. Having run this route many times, however, I knew that if I could just make it to the Pickering/Scarborough Town line, I would have the wind at my back for the return trip home. The problem was, the Towline was 6 K’s from where I was and that left plenty of time for me to try and talk myself out of it. My extremities were so cold that, let’s just say I’m glad that I have 2 sons already (get the picture?). My hands were so cold that I had a hard time reaching for an energy gel or even my water bottle.
Finally, as I turned the corner at 5th concession (Whitevale) and the Pickering/Scarborough Town line, I was rewarded with the wind at my back. Just then, the Sun started to come out and I was slowly starting to thaw out. I was still 18 K’s from home and although I had the wind at my back, the first part of that run took its toll on me.
As I headed home, I started to see some familiar faces which certainly helped to pick up my spirits. Then as I was at the corner of Church and Hwy 2, with still 6 K’s left to go, I again had to convince myself to keep going. By this time the sidewalks were frozen over and I was left with mostly icy patches to run on. I kept telling myself not to give up.
As I got closer to home I realized just how hard that run was and yet I was so proud that I didn’t quit. Now it’s time for a much needed Epson salt bath.

Here are the final stats for today’s run:
• Total distance: 22.37 Miles (36 K’s)
• Total time: 3 hours and 54 minutes
• 57 songs on my mp3
• 4 energy gels
• 2 bottles of water
• 2 bottles of Heed energy drink
And the stat I love the most.......2722 calories burned!

1 comment:

dchesla said...

Congratulations to you Greg! Running is a personal battle - so mental. This is one big reason I like to run alone, because I hit some real hard points, and I like to make myself get over them. It is a great metaphor for life. Sounds like this is exactly what you did today. Good for you. I hate to be cliche, but now I sit and ponder any tacky sayings. It is so true, that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

This weekend, I did not run. My body has been taxed from pushing it hard during the weeks. I volunteered marshalling at a 5k down by the lake though. Bloody freezing. I cheered every single person on. Twice (they ran pass me twice). Sometimes I choked & tears welled up in my eyes. Then I wished for the next race to come - quickly.

For those that don't touch this place in running, I say, please don't ruin it for those of us that do. This is why I can't give enough back to the running community.

And another great lesson has been to find the "place" of suffering in life. Buddhism has great stuff to say on this. Suffering is mental. It is part of life - it is part of running. And once we accept this, life becomes so much more fun, more enjoyable, we can see so much humour in things. Not to say that suffering disappears, we are human - it can't! But it has a place.

Big kudos to you Greg!!!!! Although I hear your request to run the NIagara course in 2 weeks, I'm thinking of convincing you to let go of everything & we'll just run where the wind takes us! Laugh, run, laugh, run...