Thursday, January 31, 2008

It's cold out there!

"It is about proving to yourself and everyone else that you don't quit. Do you want to wonder, "could I have done more?" Take everyday for the challenge that it is and run like it's your last day. Enjoy every moment. It's not about the destination, it’s the journey." - g2g4gold

Talk about getting hit with every type of weather these last few days. When I checked the temperature this morning before my run, all I could focus on was -18 with the wind chill. The next thing I looked at was how strong the winds were, which thankfully they were not that bad today.

Getting myself mentally prepared for today's run was a challenge and one that I almost didn't win. Yesterday's run really beat me up mentally and I didn't want to experience that kind of run again today. As I sat around and sipped my green tea I started to visualize my run and how I wanted it to go. I started watching the weather channel but then quickly changed it. If I kept telling myself how cold it was then chances are I would have come up with some excuse not to run. I even would have been able to justify it to myself.....for a little bit of time anyway.

However, I know myself too well and not running when I'm supposed to really sets off a negative chain reaction that is hard to recover from. The whole day I would have regretted not running and I would have been mad at myself for not going out there. I would have felt like something was missing today and that isn't a good feeling to have.

As soon as I started running and got warmed up, I was so happy that I had talked myself into running today. As cold as it was, I actually felt much better today than I did yesterday as there wasn't much wind. One of the songs that listened to was "keep holding on" by Avril Lavigne. I'm sure I must have waked up some people as I was singing this song as loudly as I could. Then again, at 5:00 AM I'm sure most people were tucked in their warm beds. Here are some of the lyrics from this song:

You're not alone
Together we stand
I'll be by your side, you know I'll take your hand
When it gets cold
And it feels like the end
There's no place to go
You know I won't give in
No I won't give in

Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through
Just stay strong
'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you
There's nothing you could say
Nothing you could do
There's no other way when it comes to the truth
So keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow, I was quoted in this.
-Kyle Merber
AKA g2g4gold