Monday, January 21, 2008

Living "within" the moment

After having an amazing weekend with my 2 boys, the inevitable happens today as they will be going to see their Mom today. Anyone who shares custody of their children with their former partner knows how hard this is not only on the children but also on the Parents. On the night before I knew they were going to leave a saddness would always come over me and I would go into a "mini-depression." Lately, though, I've realized that I was cheating myself by doing this. I was worrying about tomorrow instead of just enjoying the time with them today.

Of course I still get sad but why worry about what I know is going to happen instead of just living in the moment now? It has allowed me to focus more on the immediate things that require attention and then I'll worry about tomorrow when it comes.

I find this helpful when I talk to my clients about setting up their meal plan for them. It is easier to focus on just one meal at a time instead of worrying about possible cravings later in the day which may or may not happen. Try to focus on just one meal at a time. Make sure you take the time to enjoy just that meal. Include water with each meal and let your body have the chance to digest that meal before worrying about the next one.

It is also the case with goal planning. Although you may have a long term goal of losing 30 pound by the summer, try to focus on just losing 2 pound during the first week. Then let that positive momentum you just built, carry you through to the next week. While it's important to keep that "prize" within sights, never let it cloud your ability to see the small steps that must be taken to achieve that goal.

No comments: