Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Validation is nice

Yesterday I had a very fulfilling day at work. As a nutritionist, the best moment I get is when I see my clients achieving their goals. I realize that it takes plenty of hard work, and because I don't offer any "quick fixes" to their problems, sometimes the task can seem daunting. It's days like yesterday, however, which I'll remember for a long time.

One client lost 6.5 pounds since she started seeing me. For her, it wasn't about just changing her food consumption, it was introducing some healthy lifestyle changes to her busy schedule. Not only has she done an amazing job of losing weight, she has the full support of her family which will only make her job that much easier. I could really see the committment she has to reaching her goals.

For another client, it was simply getting him to realize that his late night tea biscuits were causing his blood sugar to rise too rapidly at night. When I saw him yesterday he had stopped having these and in turn he saw an improvement in his digestion, his energy levels and his sleeping. He was so thrilled with the results that he got and getting him to understand the chemistry behind the food that he was eating was something that I know will stay with him for the rest of his life. He commented on how much more thorough he is when he goes shopping now.

It's nice to see that my clients are sticking to what I have taught them despite the influx quick weight loss solutions that you see on TV or hear on the radio. There really is no substitute for hard work and a dedication to making some lifestyle changes.

No comments: