Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature.....as I found out today

Usually when I run I think about lots of different things to keep my mind off of the fact that I'm running at 5:00 AM when most people are still sleeping. Today, however, my only thoughts were about how I was going to make it through this windy run.

I knew that this was going to be a tough run when I went to the weather network and saw that there was a flash/freeze and wind warning for my area. I psyched myself up as best I could and headed out with my headlamp. The first third of the run I was running with the wind and I knew that this was going to be a hard run when I started climbing the hill on the corner of Rossland and Westney and the wind literally pushed me upwards. It actually felt like I was running downhill as the gusts were so strong at times.

Of course I knew that my return home was going to be anything but pleasant. I was happy that I didn't take any shortcuts though. There are few hills I run downhill and I can usually pick up some nice speed but that wasn't the case today. Instead, it was very difficult to run downhill as it felt like I was actually running uphill because of the wind. It seemed like I was just walking at times but I pushed forward and took my time.

I simply did the best I could with the conditions that were thrown at me today and I think that that is something that I talk to my clients about continuously. We aren't always going to have that "perfect" day but as long as you don't quit and continue to work hard, you will achieve your goals. I know that I will be able to once again call upon this run when I need a motivational spark of my own.

No comments: