Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I RUN therefore I AM!

"Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'" - Peter Maher

After four long agonizing days without running, I finally was able to run this morning. Although I kept myself busy with other things and rode my stationary bike for 80 minutes each day it still wasn't the same. It's amazing what a difference a run can make and how much it affects my moods and personality. With both of my boys sick this weekend I eventually caught whatever they had and that put my run today in jeoparday. In reality, though, it would have taken much more than just a cold to keep me from getting out today.

I woke up at 4:30 this morning and prepared, like I normally do, for my Tuesday run. My running partner is such an amazing runner and I wanted to make sure that I could keep up to him or at least not be that far behind. We normally go at a nice easy pace for 10 miles which can take us anywhere from 1:25 to 1:30 minutes to complete depending on the conditions. My mind struggled with the "rest vs rust" theory and I wondered if I would have the stamina this morning. Would I have to take more walk breaks than normal? You would think that after running for so long I wouldn't have these kind of thoughts but it's been a long time since I've taken 4 days off in a row so this was something new for me.

I'm happy to report that the run went amazingly well and our pace was actually quicker than it's been in a long time. It was great to be out there on the roads again and it made me appreciate being outside. I'll be able to run more this week which will include at a long trail run on Saturday morning and another long run on Sunday morning. April 19th is the Seaton race, which is 12 weeks away, and I want to be as prepared as possible for that race.

No comments: