Sunday, January 06, 2008

Don't be afraid!

Many people are reluctant to tell those around them that they are starting “another” weight loss plan. The reason is simple. They may have done this in the past and because they weren’t able to achieve their goals, they probably felt that they didn’t have what it takes to do what they needed to do. Why face the possible embarrassment from your friends and family right? WRONG!

I was reminded, yesterday, by my client that I too have a goal that I’m training for (Sulphur Springs 50 Mile trail race). It’s something that I tell all my clients about. I do it because it keeps me in “check.” Being accountable to people other than yourself, can really motivate you to stay on track with your training and nutrition. It’s the people that don’t do this that I really feel sorry for. A big part of achieving a goal is the milestones you will pass along the way. Every day that you make the healthier food choice or exercise, should be cherished and celebrated. My calendar in the kitchen is always filled with what I ran that day and when I look at it it really is a powerful reminder at what I’ve been able to accomplish.

One of the reasons I started to keep a blog was so that I can keep a record of what I’m doing and to let those around me know as well. I love the fact that after a run I can share my feelings with family and friends. I’m flattered that so many people have found this helpful to them but my main reason for doing this was to keep myself on track.

Fear of failure is one the most crippling things that you’ll have to overcome but I refuse to let it stop me from achieving my goals. This doesn’t mean that I have achieved everything I want, but at least I’m going to stay positive throughout the process. If I had let fear control my feelings I probably wouldn’t even be running right now.

I suffered a huge setback at the Mississauga Marathon last spring. After training hard for 5 months in 2007, everything was set up for me for that race. I achieved personal best running times for all the races leading up to that one. I let everyone around me know that my goal for that race was 3:30. It was something that was attainable and anything else was simply not acceptable. Unfortunately I suffered from cramps during the race, which I had never had before, and that prevented me from my goals.

It took me months to get over that disappointment. I was upset that my body had let me down at the most important race in my life. I had so many friends there and they knew how disappointed I was. Nothing they said was going to make me feel any better but it was nice having their support nonetheless.

As I look back at that training, almost a year ago now, I can still remember how hard I worked and though it took me a long time to accept, I can relish the fact that the training itself was a huge accomplishment.

This month there will be millions of people who will make weight loss their New Years’ resolution. If you are one of them then don’t be afraid to share this goal with those around you. Cherish the small victories and don’t despair about not being “perfect” because nobody is.

No comments: