Saturday, January 12, 2008

Happy Trails....

"Trail running is a microcosm of life. You appreciate the highs more when you've had some lows, and it teaches you that good things don't come without hard work." Doug McKeever

That quote pretty much sums up my feelings about trail running and it really hit home during my trail run today. After taking two days off I was pumped to go running today. I had the choice of running in either the Rouge Valley or the Seaton trail. Of the two, I prefer the Seaton trail as it seems more scenic to me. It also is one of the most technical trails I've ever run in. I would rank it 3rd in regards to the toughest places I've run so far (Haliburton and Iroquois being slightly harder).

Ken and I went out at just past 7:00 AM this morning with both of us sporting our headlamps. It was suprisingly slippery during the first part of the run and this led to a rather slow trot through the trails. My legs felt very strong after the rest and even though I was itching to go a little faster, the icy conditions didn't warrant such a move.

We made it almost to the Whites Road and then turned around and headed back. The return trip was much faster as we now had sunlight and we were able to avoid many of the icy patches. During our run back, we bumped into two other trail runners who I know very well from my OUS races.

The run today reminded me once again why I love to run in the trails and if I had my way it would be the only running I'd do. It presents so many more challenges than the roads and the scenery is simply breathtaking. If you ever get a chance to take a run or walk through any one of these trails I would highly recommend it.

No comments: