Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Take the load less travelled it usually pays off in the end

All day Tuesday I kept thinking about my long run on Wednesday morning. I knew that I wanted to do at least 12 Miles (20 K's) and I also knew that I had to get up extra early to get the run in.

I woke up at 4:30 and after having my usual tea and 1/2 banana I was off on the roads at about 5:20. I took with me 2 water bottles (1 filled with an electrolyte drink) and 1 sugar gel packet. My new favorite "toy" was also strapped to my head (my new headlamp) so I was ready for the long journey on my own with my mp3 player ready to provide me with the motivation that I needed.

I've mentioned this previously but I have one of the worst senses of direction than anyone I know,I even got lost during a trail race last year, which makes for some interesting stories to share with my friends. Before I left my house this morning I carefully went over my route on my computer. Most of the route was very familiar but I decided to take a slightly different route to add some extra miles to the run (thanks Ken).
Much of the run was in pitch black conditions where all I had was my headlamp leading the way. Thankfully there were only a few cars on the road but the stretch from Church/Taunton to Church/5th Concession was not something I'd recommend to new runners. Most of that area is dirt covered, and I was very fortunate not to twist my ankle in a pothole.

There were some nice winding roads and a few very challenging hills (especially from Hwy 7 to Westney Rd) but the rest of the run was relatively flat. Whenever I felt a little tired a song would come on my mp3 to pick me up. At one point I'm sure I must have woken up some people because when the song "Believe" (by Suzie Mcneil)came on I couldn't help but start singing. As I headed home, the last song I heard was "Let's see how far we've come." This pretty much summed up my 2 hour run this morning.

It's amazing that even though I've run so often, each run I have has a different story behind it. I wonder what tomorrow will bring?

No comments: