Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Allow yourself to "find" your passion in life

The story of how I started running is an interesting one but I won't go into all the details. All you need to know is that had I not allowed myself to be open to trying new things, such as running, I never would have discovered how passionate I am about it. I can't imagine my life without running and yet for 37.5 years of my life, it didn't even register on the radar for me.

Many clients I see at the gym workout with the held of their trainer but have a hard time working out on their own. I worry about these people because it's clear that working out at the gym is not their passion. Eventually, as I've seen far too often, they will stop coming to they gym altogether. The problem is, most of them don't look for an alternative.

There is no magic pill for getting healthy. It requires a committment to regular exercise and healthy eating. It's also about finding balance in your life. When either of these appears to be "work" then ultimately it will lead to failure. You need to embrace some form of exercise and make it a priority in your life. In addition, you can't look negatively on changing your eating habits. I'm not saying that this is going to be easy but the more you struggle and put up roadblocks to your own success, the less likely you are to succeed.

The most successful clients I have are the ones who have adopted this new healthy lifestyle and ask questions about how they can improve themselves more and more. The have removed the barriers which held them captive and are happier as a result. As they see their bodies changing, they realize that they could not have achieved their goals had they not changed their lifestyles. Each one of us has the ability to do the same thing. Maybe it's time you took down your barriers too!

No comments: