Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Character building run today

There are good runs and bad runs, fast runs and slow run and then there are runs like this morning which my friend Kelly has described as "character building runs."

The morning started as it always does before a run. I went to my computer after waking up, and as my tea was steaping, I checked the weather forecast. I noticed that it was 11 degrees with light rain. No big deal because I love the rain and 11 degress meant I could wear my shorts instead of layers of clothing. After yesterday's run, when I was overdressed, I opted for a short sleeve running shirt, shorts and my running jacket.

I left the house at just before 6 AM and met my friend at our usual running spot, I soon found out that this was not going to be an ordinary run. What I failed to take into account, when I was looking at the weather, was how strong the wind was. Wind is the one thing that makes a run very difficult and we both had our share of moments today. Add in the heavy downpour, the fact that it was still dark and you can imagine how this turned into quite the adventure. We were dodging puddles but our shoes were so soaked it really didn't matter as staying dry wasn't an option today. We had the wind at our back for the first half but that only meant that our run home was going to be headed right into the wind. As soon as we turned the corner to head back we immediately felt how strong the wind was. Both of us was in our "zone" and we both just carried on because talking to each other became an exercise in futility. Even though running is an individual event, knowing that you have someone going through the same struggles that you are can be motivating so I was very fortunate to have her with me today.

When I finally made it home I couldn't wait to check the weather network to see just how bad the wind gusts were. To my amazement, the wind gusts were up to 65 KM's/hr. No wonder there were times where we felt like we were actually running backwards.

As tough as this run was, though, I know it will only make me a stronger runner and person. As I've said, I use running as a metaphor for life and being able to overcome obstacles like today, makes anything possible.

No comments: