Thursday, January 03, 2008

An unexpected run today

Sometimes it pays to be at the right place at the right time. When I arrived at work today I quickly found out that many of my clients had cancelled. I think people are still enjoying the holidays this week which I expected. After a few calls to re-arrange my schedule, I realized that I had a 2.5 hour window available. I obviously knew I was going to get a run in which surprised me as I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be able to run until next Monday because I was watching my 2 boys.

Not only was I elated at the fact that I was going to run but I ran into one of my best friends at the gym and after several attempts at getting her to run with me, she finally obliged.

We had a great 10K run and it helped to have company with me. We did a variation of my typical run around my neighbourhood at a nice comfortable pace. During our run we both commented on how nice it was to be outside and even though the temperature said -14, it certainly didn't feel that way to us. With no wind today it was amazing how nice the run was.

Any excuse I can get to run I'll take it, but I know it will be next to impossible to get a run in over these next 3 days. Instead, I'll ride my stationary bike to keep my legs in shape and maybe even do a light weight training session. It's next to impossible for me to not exercise each day and running is my #1 choice, but sometimes you have make adjustments to what you like to do.

Nothing comes close to the excitement I get from running outside and even though I could possible run on the treadmill on the weekend, I'd rather not run then have to run on the treadmill so biking it is. No offence to people who love to use their treadmill, but I know that I would feel like I cheated myself if I ran inside instead of outside. I've grown so accustomed to running in all types of weather and I need the outside experience to keep me motivated. That's why it was so nice to be able to run today.

Thanks Miriam!

No comments: