Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Slindy

What is Slindy? It's a new word I created to describe the conditions of my run today, slushy+ice+windy. A run that usually takes me about an hour, took an extra 10 minutes because of the conditions today. I was happy that I ran, and even more fortunate not to fall. Instead of running on the sidewalks, which were unbelievably icy, I tried to stick to the snow covered parts. This resulted in running through mostly slush.

The run up the Westney hill was by far the most difficult part and I did everything I could to avoid slipping backwards. The wind picked up toward the end of the run, (of course) and that made the last mile more difficult.

During the run a few songs would come on my mp3 which would inspire me to continue. I also thought about the fact that these slower runs are what will help me when I do my trail race. I tried to put myself mentally in the trails and didn't worry about how slow I was going.

I hope that the roads are a little bit better tomorrow morning but if not, I'll use today as a reminder that it's the tougher runs that build character. Today certainly was one of those days.

No comments: