Saturday, December 29, 2007

My run/walk adventure in the trails today

As soon as we headed out from the Rouge parking lot at 8:00 AM this morning I knew that this was going to be an adventure I wouldn't soon forget. About 20 or so runners showed up today but when they saw the icy conditions, many of them decided to run on the roads.

The group dwindled to 7 of us and even though it was extremely difficult at times, I'm glad I decided to do it. Each of us took turns falling at least once on the trails, which resembled more of an ice rink than anything else. We managed to run/walk almost 10 K's which was enough for all of us. A run that usually takes us about an hour to do, took 1.5 hours instead. All I kept thinking about, besides falling, was that this was great training for my 50 Mile race. Running at such a slow pace is something that I'll be doing plenty of in May of next year.

There was something special about doing something that most others wouldn't think of and even though it would have been very easy to turn around and run somewhere else, I'm very glad that I made the decision to run in the trails.

Tomorrow I'll be doing my long slow run and I'm hoping to get in anywhere from 17-18 Miles. It will be nice to do the majority of this distance with a group of friends. As my mileage increases on my long runs, I'm finding it difficult to find running partners to join me. Most of my friends are not training for anything right now so that makes it difficult to convince them to run longer than they want to. Tomorrow I'll have to do a few miles on my own before joining the rest of the crew. Hopefully we won't have to worry about any ice on the roads......

No comments: