Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Don't make excuses.....make a PLAN instead!

These next two weeks are probably the hardest time for people trying to lose weight but it doesn't have to be. It's so easy to give ourselves reasons for not sticking to a plan especially when those around you don't seem to care about what they eat/drink.

One of the many things I've learned since I started running is that I can improve my mental focus more than ever before. I've tried to channel that same ability to my daily life. During my run yesterday I spoke to Ken about some of the things that really get me upset. One of them is the fact that because I run so much, people just assume that it's "easy" for me. This couldn't be further from the truth. Each run I have I battle my own mental demons to continue. There are various points either before or just as I start to run, that I ask myself why I'm doing this? Thankfully I can recall plenty of runs that I've "bookmarked" in my brain which I can use to motivate me when things are getting tough.

Running has also allowed me to think more clearly and solve problems. This is probably one of the main reasons why I get lost so often when I'm running. There are times when I'm running that I literally forget where I am as I'm so lost in thought. During my run, my thoughts will often turn to my kids, work and specific clients who I've been lucky to work with. I often will feed off the positive energy of my clients.

Many of my clients have overcome so many obstacles in their own life. Each one of them have their own set of personal demons that they are trying to battle but the one common thing that they share is they have a plan. The clients who do really well won't settle for excuses. They may not always have a "perfect" week of eating but they will acknowledge this and move forward instead of dwelling on it. I often talk about having “bounce back" ability. It's alright to get knocked down but it's NOT alright to stay down.

During this holiday season, if you want to indulge in something then make sure you do so when YOU want to do it. Don't feel obligated to eat something just because you don't want to hurt someone’s feelings. Food tastes much better without a side of "guilt!" People often will encourage you to eat more during the holiday season without even thinking about how this may affect someone who's been trying hard to lose weight. I really think this comes down to being selfish. Misery certainly does love company so be wary of that. The more control you can take with regards to holiday eating the better you'll feel.

1 comment:

Jennifer Hartley said...

Great advice....especially for moi! as i head into my first holiday season since starting my healthy lifestyle....it will be a challenge....but im looking forward to practicing some "mental toughness" and if i give in to something...moving forward is the ONLY option...