Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I am a Runner!

Christmas Eve was a mixed bag emotionally for me. It started off with a great run with a few friends but as the day progressed it became tough on me. Knowing that I wasn't going to see my two boys opening up their presents on Christmas Day was something that I knew was coming and yet when it arrived it was harder than I thought. I wanted to be left alone and yet I was lonely at the same time. Anyone who has children can relate I'm sure.

I had planned long ago, to do some kind of run on Christmas Day to take my mind off of things and to reflect on the year that just went by. I tinkered with the idea of running 30 K but because I'm going to be doing two long runs this weekend, I didn't want to go that far. I was thrilled when I asked one of my best friends to join me and she accepted. We haven't run together for months so I knew it would be an amazing experience but it surpassed anything that I could have imagined.

Our route was very hilly but we were able to go through some really nice neighbourhoods. It was amazing to see the roads so barren. Some of the places we were running through were simply breathtaking and we both reflected on how truly lucky we were to be out here on such an amazing journey.

On our way back home we stopped off at one of our friends’ house to wish her a Merry Christmas and then went off and finished our run. We were just at the 20K mark when she said that she wanted to do another 1.1 K to make it an even 1/2 Marathon distance. Not one to turn down running I accepted and we finished the run and made our way back to our cars.

We talked about so many things but one of the things that she said really struck home. She mentioned how she is defined by her running and that she is first and foremost a runner. I couldn't have summed that up any better myself. It truly is who I am and what I'm all about. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't found running. I know that I'd be a different person and probably not the type of person who I am today.

You don't have to run long distances to be defined as a runner. You simply have to understand the important part that it plays in your life. I'm proud to call myself a runner.

Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: