Sunday, June 01, 2008

Playing it smart is not always the easiest thing to do

I had visions of doing a long run today. In my mind I though about a minimum of 2 hours. Then after doing more research on recovering after running an Ultramarathon I realized how foolish that would have been. I'm sure I could have done it but at what price?

Instead, I did the smart thing which was to add a little bit onto what I did yesterday. I ran for just over 8 miles instead of the 11-15 I was going to run. As a result I feel better and my legs are almost at full strength now.

Because I have another race next weekend, I'll need to make sure I don't push it too much over the next few days. What I'll probably do is increase my mileage slowly over the next three days and then take two days off before the race to rest.

This will be a very unique race that I'll be doing. It's a 6 hour timed event. I will be running a 1 KM loop from 9 AM until 3 PM. At that point every runner stops and their distance is calculated. It will interesting to see how many KM's I can do in this amount of time but my main focus is to use this run as a way to get to know even more of the trail runners as all of them will be there.

During the end of my run today I thought back to last weekend. Although I know I made the right decision, a part of me knows that I now have "unfinished business." What that means is that I will attempt another 100 miler at some point. I thought about the mistakes I made not only during the race but my psyche as I entered it. All winter I had trained for the 50 Miler at Seaton and that was my main focus. It was only after I had completed that, that I decided to attempt a 100 miler. I know, now, that my mind was not where it needed to be.

With regards to training, I should have done more runs at Sulphur and especially at night. In fact, I hadn't done any late night runs in the trails before that race. That was a huge oversight on my part.

Having talked to many experienced Ultra runners I also know that I shouldn't have stopped for as long as I did at each aid station. When I do my next one I'll grab something and head out right away. The longer I stayed, the harder it was for me to get back into a rhthym again.

I was surprised at how well my stomach adapted to so many new foods during that race. At least now I know that I can use things like Ensure or Boost to get me through when my energy levels are low.

I knew that my competive disposition would eventually get the better of me and now I know that I must complete a 100 miler so that I can move onto my next goal. Whatever that is..............

1 comment:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Really nice post about lessons learned. I had lessons learned on a weekend run (much smaller in scope) than yours. Your headline says it all. It takes a personal experience for me to "get smart" for next time.

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com
blog.runnerslounge.com