Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Pushing it a little more today

Most people know that my favorite weather to run in is rain so I got a nice serving of that this morning. It wasn't a terrential downpour, which is what I thought was going to happen, but instead it was a steady rain. The weather was warm and I was so thankful I decided not to wear my jacket.

The plan was to run a little longer today than I did on the weekend. After taking a day off yesterday to do some weights, my legs were refreshed and when I left the house there was no pain in my shins/ankles so I knew that it was going to be a good run.

I kept an even pace, except when a fast song came on my mp3, and decided not to stop to refuel. I ended up running for 9 miles and felt amazing afterwards. I would usually be in a taper mode with a race coming up on Saturday but I also want to make sure I'm not too "rusty" by the time the weekend comes. Tomorrow I want to run for 10 miles and then rest for the next two days.

I've been reading a very good website called "running for recovery." I think that those of us who do run on a regular basis would say that running is therapeutic for them. I know that it is in my case. It's a fine line between passion and obsession and I admit that sometimes I cross that line. I also know that running has a trickle down effect on my life that no other activity that I've done has had for me.
Those who are closest to me will constantly remind me about keeping proper balance. It is something that I strive to do.

No comments: