Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Getting mentally focused requires discipline

When I do my race on Saturday (50K in Niagara Falls) it will be my 5th Ultra race since April 19th. I've been doing more distance races than ever before and my feet are taking a beating as a result. I'm seriously considering having my remaining toenails removed to avoid the inevitable.

Although I have done well at the previous races, I seem to have left something on the course at each of them. Somehow I feel that complacency has set in. This weekend I really want to push myself a little harder than I have.

There really is no reason for me not to have a good race, other than outside influences of course. Part of that means getting more disciplined and focused this week. I know what I need to do, as I spend the majority of the time telling this to my clients. What I need to do this week is start taking more of my own advice.

A big part of that means getting more sleep. It also means eating a little healthier. Both of these have slipped a little over the last few weeks. The important thing to remember when these times happen is to become more accountable. Even though I don't like using weight scales, it's important to use something to motivate me. Although my body fat is low (12%) my weight has gone up a little (165) and I know that I run my best at around 160. Knowing this I will become more diligent with my eating as the race approaches. This is all part of the mental focus that I need to have.

Because I've done this race twice before, I know the trouble spots and the strategy that I need to employ in order to get the result I want. I have a goal time that I want to reach but I will save this for later in the week.

No comments: