Thursday, June 12, 2008

An amazing story to tell

I must see about 100 clients over a two week span of work and some stand out a little more than others. There is one client who has really rekindled my own memories of my former self and I just had to tell a little bit about him today.

He is 15 years old and when I first saw him he was close to 200 pounds and stood about 5'5. Being a teenager is difficult enough but trying to lose weight amongst friends who would rather hang out at McDonalds and the video arcase cand be even tougher. He has never missed an appointment with me,which is incredible, and he works out at least 6 days per week. He reminds me of myself at that age, although I was even heavier than he is.

Each week when I see him and we do a weigh-in he continues to drop weight. The transformation is incredible and his trainer and I are constantly talking about how well he is doing. At our last weigh in he was down to 175 pounds and the look on his face was priceless. He knows that he still wants to lose more weight but he also can reflect on how well he is doing.

When I think about some of my older clients who are struggling I can always relate to them the story of this young man and it provides them with some inspiration. Each client I see has their own challenges that they must overcome but having been overweight as a teenager, I know how difficult this can be. I also know that he is changing his life around at a great time and I'm confident that he will continue to live a healthy life. Who knows, maybe in 20 years he'll be doing nutrition counseling and writing a blog like I do. You never can tell right?

No comments: