Sunday, June 15, 2008

Running slower to ensure that my passion continues

Yesterday I was able to mingle with a diverse group of runners. In the morning I met with my trail running friends and in the evening it was runners who mostly do road marathons. It was quite interesting listening to the different conversations about running. There is no good/bad, right/wrong way with regards to running. Some prefer the marathon distances where they can push themselves to run faster and faster. Others like to see how much endurance they can squeeze out of their bodies. The two groups are not necessarily mutually exclusive as I have done both speed marathons and now ultramarathons. When I listened to a few of the runners last night talk about their injuries, however, it made me realize that for now, speed isn't something I'm concerned with.

I'm sure the allure of running the Boston Marathon will get to me sooner or later but my timetable for trying to qualify for that race is when I turn 45 in 2012. Until then, I want to be able to ensure that I'm able to run at least 5 days per week.

It was really sad listening to a few of the runners who were injured. Some have been off for months. I thought to myself how lucky I am to be still doing what I love and (knock on wood) staying relatively healthy throughout. I'm sure that running smarter has lots to do with that.

When I got up this morning I contemplated running with a group of people that I know but I decided against it. The one fear that I have is getting caught up in someone elses' pace.

I will be doing a 50 K race next Saturday in Niagara Falls and this is one race where it will be easy to get caught up in trying to run fast. The course is relatively flat and on a bikepath. Amazingly enough I was running great last year and then got lost about 1KM from the finish which robbed me of a better time. I remember how much pain I was in last year after that race. My calves seized up on me and I could barely walk. Since I've changed my approach to running slower and smarter, I have not had these same problems.

There will be so many people that I know who will be doing that race that I could probably count the number of people who I don't know on one hand. Most of them are people I run with in the OUS (Ontario Ultra Series) so running slowly won't be a problem for me.

I want to wish all the Fathers out there a very happy Fathers Day. One of the greatest joys in my life came 10 years ago when my oldest son was born on the weekend of Fathers Day. Take the time to spend some quality time with your Father today. As a father, I know they'll appreciate it.

No comments: