Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ultra trail runners are a special group of people

When I went up to the race yesterday in Niagara Falls with my fried, I was immediately greeted by most of the people who were running yesterday. I think this startled my friend but because I have run so many ultra races in the past 3 years, I've come to know many of these runners very well. We all share the same passion for trail running and our #1 goal is to finish the race. Most of us don't have specific goals but the ones who do are very private about them. We are all supportive of one another and it's something special that I rarely see at a marathon race.

Yesterday I was able to talk to many veteran runners who have done these Ultras for 10 or more years. They have guided me along since I started running. One of them, who I really look up, told me that he had to walk 16 hours during his first 100 mile race. He told me that it's all about learning what your body can handle. He also told me that because I've done so many ultra marathons that it's hard to do really well at them consistently. This was important for me to hear and made me feel better about my recent race results.

One day after my race and I'm feeling pretty good and would like to go for a run but cannot because I'm watching my kids today. My next race will be in 2 weeks and it's another 50k trail race called the Creemore Vertical Challenge. As the name implies, it will consist of many hill climbs. Apparently last year it was extremely hot. My goal this year is to compete in as many Ultra races as I can. So far so good.

1 comment:

Jamie Anderson said...

It is definitely a very cool sub-culture. Though my experience is still pretty limited, I'm glad to be part of it. Best of luck with your next 50K.