Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Experience is a great teacher

Today was my first run since my race on Saturday. It seems I'm always coming off of a race but this will be my last until early July. I'm becoming very familiar with easing myself back into running long distances following a race. I've done the smart thing and not push it too much during my first run after a race and that's what I did today.

My legs felt a little tired and "heavy" for the first part of the run but my pace picked up a little bit towards the middle and end. I played it safe and ran for just over 6 miles today. The fact that my mp3 player died during my run made it easier for me not to run too far. I've had that same player for about a year now but it's time to get a new one. I'm glad it didn't die on me during my race last weekend.

Music has a great way of motivating me and the music I pick usually has a running "theme" to it. During my race on Saturday when I heard the song "Running on Empty" I was tired but I knew that I had to run while listening to that song. Walking to it just wouldn't have done it or me justice. So, today, I must find a new mp3 player. I've become so accustomed to it that I know that I would have a hard time running without one.

Tomorrow I will go a little longer, probably 8 miles, but this week will be all about just running for "feel" rather than running with a plan.

No comments: