Monday, June 30, 2008

Happy to be living an active lifestyle

As I drove to meet some runners yesterday morning I saw so many people running, walking and biking. I knew that these people all lived an active lifestyle. It was early on a Sunday morning and yet these people put exercise high on their agenda of things to do. I've always said that if you don't put a priority on exercise and healthy living, you will never achieve your fitness goals.

I ran with one runner yesterday who just one year ago didn't even know if he was going to be able to walk again let alone run. He's suffered through torn achiles tendons and fused neck and yet he still continues to run. He may not return to the speed he once had, although I'd never count him out, but he's happy doing the thing he loves.

When I describe myself, the one thing I'm proud to say is that I'm a long distance runner. It reminds me of what kind of dedication I have to the sport that I love. One of the most common questions I get is how do I find the time to run so much? The answer is easy, I don't wait for an opportunity to run I create my opportunity to run.

The clients I see at the gym often feel like they can't get to the gym more than once or twice per week because of their busy schedules. To me, that really is the problem right there. We all live busy lives but you need to schedule in your workout times as you would a business meeting. This doesn't mean you have to rely on going to the gym for your exercise. I'm a good example of someone who hasn't worked out in a gym in over a year. Instead I've found my passion in running. There are many forms of exercise and all you have to do is keep an open mind and allow yourself to experience new things. You'll be amazed at what you find when you do.

No comments: