Friday, March 09, 2007

Training Update

I seemed to have a better training week this week as I felt that I pushed a little too much after running the Peterborough 1/2 marathon.
I can always tell when I start to overtrain as I lose that love for running that I have so much and it starts to become more work than enjoyment.
A friend of mine and I were talking about that during our run on Wednesday. We both have different goals that we are trying to achieve but still realize that running must be FUN first which thankfully it is.
I did some speed work on Thursday which consisted of running my 5K race pace (between a 3:45 and 4:30) for 1 minute followed by 3 minutes at a comfortable pace (5:30 to 5:45). I managed to get in 8 sets of this over 5K and practiced increasing my stride length with each sprint. Usually during a race I will use short choppy strides and this works well for me but increasing the stride length will also help work different muscles in my leg.
I did some weight training this week but have decided that I will only do 1-2 days a week of this and only use high repetitions (15-20) as I do not want to increase my body weight above 155 pounds.
Ideally, I would like to enter the Mississauga Marathon at 145 pounds so that is my goal right now. With a little over 2 months to go, I should be able to hit that mark.
This weekend the temperatures are supposed to be above freezing which will make for an enjoyable 30K run on Sunday. This will be my last major run before the Around the Bay race on March 25th.
I only hope that the weather on the 25th is the same as it's going to be this weekend. I'm tired of wearing layer after layer of clothing so it will be nice to wear shorts and a shirt at that race!

No comments: