Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My running influences

There are many amazing runners that I've met since I started but some stand out more than others. This afternoon I ran into one of those runners at the grocery store. He had heard about my 1/2 Marathon time in Peterborough and made a point of congratulating me on this. I can't explain what that meant to me but I'm sure he knew as he could see the smile on my face broaden.
This runner is truly a remarkable man having completed several ultra distance events (100 mile races). I met him about 2 years ago when I started running trail races myself and he always would take the time to say hello and ask how I was doing.
I told him that I wanted to focus on trying to increase my speed while I attempt to qualify for the Boston Marathon and he wished me well. He also knows my love of trail running and he is one of the organizers for an upcoming trail race in April (Seaton Trail).
I told him that as much as I would love to run that race I can't because of the Marathon in May. I told him that I would love to volunteer and we started having preliminary discussions of what I can do at the race.
I can onlyhope to achieve some of the many milestones this man has ahcieved in his running career and I thank him for inspring me to continue.
Thanks Gavin!

No comments: