Tuesday, March 06, 2007

My best Tempo run to date!

How crazy is this? I started out this morning by checking the weather network. It was -34C with the wind chill. I layered up and set my Garmin to training assistant. This function allows me to set particular variables and then I race against a virtual "buddy" to see if I can match or beat him. I set this to pace and distance. Today was a 10K tempo run and I wanted to see if I could beat my best pace time which was a 4:51. I last did this time about a month ago with Ken but since then I hadn't beaten that time.
When I left the house this morning I could instantly feel the chill but I was properly layered so it actually wasn't that bad.
I picked my normal route as it was relatively flat and fast.
From time to time I looked down at my garmin to see where I was and for the first 3K or so he was ahead as I had to warm up to a faster pace. After that though, my speed kicked in and before I knew it I was ahead by about 100 Meters. When I finished the run I noticed that my pace was actually 4:49 so I bettered my last tempo by a full two seconds per K.
These tempo runs are going to help give me the confindence for my upcoming races.
Now it's time to thaw........

No comments: