Monday, March 12, 2007

Running with a purpose

One of my clients asked me last week what my motivation was for running. For a minute I was actually stumped and couldn't come up with an answer. She wanted to know why I run and what keeps me going during my run. She seemed to be impressed with the fact that I run so much while she is having a hard time getting started.

This is something that I have a hard time explaining to people. I run for so many different reasons. Unlike many of my friends who have said that they like the run better when it's over, I actually enjoy the running more than anything else.
There are times, like yesterday, when I completed my 31K and I felt like I could have kept running for hours.

When I'm out on the road I can reflect on so many things and I can have quiet conversations with myself. I think about some of the struggles I've had in my life and try to put a positive spin on each of these. Along the way I feel like I can "dump" so many negative thoughts on the road as I'm running. Music has really made a difference for me during my running so I pick songs that have personal meaning to me. When I run and listen to a particular song it brings me back to a time and place in my life, both good and bad, and let's me reflect on that moment. I think about how I would have done things differently. Why some people have more of an influence on me than others. How do I improve my own sel-esteem etc.

Very little of my time spent running is actually thinking about the running itself. It's something that just comes naturally to me (or so I've been told). I'm not the fastest runner around but I feel like I'm one of the most motivated and that gets me through the tough times.

When I see my client later this week I'll make sure I relay some of this to her.

No comments: