Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Training update/ CWX clothing review

Today was my last hard run before my race on Saturday. I did a series of interval runs at 4:30, 5:00 and 5:30 minK paces for about 4K. I was a little nervous doing them but they didn't turn out to be as bad as I thought. It gave me a good time to discuss with my coach my training strategy for this weekend. I went over everything from bio mechanics to motivation to hydration and I'll use all of this come Sunday.
What I love about races is that I can put all my training into one event and give it everything I have. While I know that some people will be running this race as a fun event, I honestly don't think I could do that. I love the fact that I have a certain time goal and that will force me to remain focused throughout. Most of my friends will be taking the bus up to Hamilton but I have decided to drive up with a few friends instead. I need that drive up to prepare for the race and I want to be as mentally sharp and focused as I can.

During the race I will be listening to a play list that I have created on my MP3 specifically designed for this race. I have put certain songs in places where I will need the most motivation. There will be about 3 or 4 of my friends who will be running at my pace or better but I honestly won't see them as I'll be too focused on my own race.

Yesterday I made my usual trip to Running Free to talk with the staff and do some last minute shopping. I decided to purchase a pair of running tights made by CWX. These tights are designed to provide more stability around the lower back, hips, glutes, knees and calves. I went with the 3/4 length to give me the best support. This morning I tried them out on my run and I LOVED them. They really kept everything aligned and I did feel like I felt better support than my usual running tights. I'm looking forward to trying them out on the race this Sunday.

Tomorrow I will be running a nice easy 10K and I'm sure I will savor every last step as it will be my last run before Sunday. Starting on Thursday I will begin to carbo load and will post what that looks like in terms of eating. I've given a few of my friends a plan for this week so I wish you well in your eating.....just one bit of advice though....stay far away from the scale!

No comments: