Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Making sacrfices to achieve a bigger goal!

I just finished a great tempo run this morning. After the run I had a good chat with my coach who has really helped me improve my running. We talked about pacing, what races I should or shouldn't do in order to keep my focus on the bigger prize (Mississauga Marathon).
After the Around The Bay race the temptation for me to run a race in April will be great. I like to run at least 1 race per month as it keeps me focused on my running. The trail running series that I competed in last year (Ontario Ultra Series) starts up in April with one of my favorite races, Seaton Trail 25K. This is a route that I have done many times and I love running with the people there as I feel very much part of their "family."

However, the race is only a few weeks before the Mississauga Marathon and Ken pointed out to me that I should maintain my focus on that race. In addition, there is the very real possibility of getting injured on the trails as the terrain is much different than on the road.

There are other smaller races in April which I also would like to do including the 5-Peaks races and some 5K and 10K races but I have decided to use the month of April to improve upon my speed so that when I run in May I can give it everything I have.

What I may do is volunteer at some of these races instead. This way I can still enjoy the atmosphere and watch my friends compete at the same time.

I seem to be running so much better now than I was even 1 month ago and it has plenty to do with my confidence being better, reducing some stress in my personal life and sticking to a great running plan.

While I can't wait until Around the Bay gets here, part of me will be a little sad knowing that I won't be racing again for another 6 weeks. As I'm learning though, it's all about running and training smarter.

No comments: