Sunday, March 11, 2007

A great day for a run!

Can you feel it? Spring is right around the corner and about 7 of my friends and I went out this morning to do our long slow run in preparation for the Around the Bay race which is just two weeks away.

We ventured out at 7:30 this morning, many of us still smarting from the fact that we lost an hour of sleep. The weather was a bit chilly to start and it wasn't until the last 3/4 of the run that the sun came out and we could feel the warmth. We all got a big boost of energy not having to deal with the stiff wind which was pretty strong for the first half.

I managed to run the 31K in just under a 6 min K/pace (5:53) which was my goal. As we met up for our usual coffee/tea and "social" you could tell that we were all tired. The long runs are important but as the distance increases so too does the amount of time spent running. Today's run took just over 3 hours.

Tomorrow I will probably either do a light run, ride the bike or do some weight training. After that it's back to one more week of training before I start to taper for the Around the Bay race.

I hadn't run past 25K since my last marathon in December so getting to 31 today was an important milestone. I'm confident that I will be able to run my predicted goal of 2:25 as I got a good feel for how running 30K's feels again.

No comments: