Sunday, October 21, 2007

Hang on to YOUR belief system tightly or else......

This past Friday night I was watching Larry King Live on CNN. His panel of guests were Dr. Mehmet Oz from Oprah Winfrey fame and Gary Taubes who is the author of a controversial book called "GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES."

Both men appear to be intelligent but both have contrasting views on diet and exercise. If you get a chance check out the transcripts from the show:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0710/19/lkl.01.html

Taubes claimed that exercise can contribute to obesity by causing us to eat more because we are hungry afterwards. He claims that eliminating carbohydrates is the way to go.

Meanwhile, Dr. Oz preaches portion control and while they agree on the point that simple or white sugars need to be eliminated, they don't agree on much else.

Their debate between who was right and who was wrong went on for an hour and at the end of the show nothing much was accomplished except for one thing, confusion. I was glad that I have my education to stand behind me but I thought about the millions of people watching that show who don't. I'm sure the sales of Taubes book went skyrocketing right after the show and the cynic in me figured that that was the point in the first place.

I thought about my clients and hoped that none of them was watching the show. I then realized that they are faced with this confusion on a daily basis from TV, radio and magazines. One of the things that I stress during my consultations is the philosophy behind what my program is all about. If I cannot get them to understand it or to challenge their own belief system then it won't matter what kind of plan I put them on.

There really is no secret to losing weight. It takes a committment to exercise and healthy eating and a small change in your current lifestyle. If these things are not done on a consistent basis, then losing weight and more importantly keeping the weight off will be difficult.

Whatever plan you decide to follow I hope that you realize that you must committ to following it for the rest of your life. I don't offer any quick fixes but I do offer a program that is safe, easy to follow and one that will maintain your weight loss forever.

No comments: