Thursday, October 04, 2007

Don't take any shortcuts when trying to achieve your goal

Whenever I run from my house in Ajax, I have 5 different routes that I can take. Each of these routes is anywhere from 11 to 14KM's and I try not to do the same route twice in the same week.

During my 13 KM run this morning at 5 AM there was a stretch which was poorly lit. My choices were to do that stretch anyway and hit my goal of 13 KM or go an alternate route which would have come up about 1KM short. I knew that if I took that shortcut that it would bother me for the rest of the day. I had only a few seconds to decide and I decided to go the longer route.

While I was running today I thought about how we are faced with making healthy eating choices daily. Do you eat the salad with chicken for lunch or order a pizza with the rest of your colleagues at work?

There is no "trick" to losing weight. What it takes is hard work and determination. You can take all the fat burners etc. that you want but if you don't have a committment to eating healthy and exercising the majority of the time, then chances are that you will not be successful in achieving your weight loss goals for the long term.

Clients who come to me expecting drastic results immediately are shocked when I tell them that I want to see 2 pounds of weight loss per week. Anything more than that tells me that they are not following the guidelines I have set forth for them.

Do not look for quick fixes when trying to lose weight. Instead, make eating healthy and exercising a priority in your life. You'll be glad that you did.

No comments: