Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Invigorating!

After running alone for most of the past three weeks, mostly because I've been watching my two boys, I was able to run this morning with someone who helped introduce me to running. I took his clinic and still remember many of the things that he taught me and use them regularly during my own running. He ran with me last winter as I trained for the 2007 Mississauga Marathon.

While I have enjoyed running on my own for these past few weeks, it was nice to actually talk to someone for a change.

When I look back at all the people I've been able to meet since I started running it truly is amazing that so many people share the same passion for running that I do. There are some who just run for fun while others are trying to reach a particular goal such as qualifying for Boston or trying to improve their speed.

Listening to Ken talk this morning was helpful and I know that I'll eventually pick a goal race sooner than later. I think that my "burnout" phase is slowly fading so don't be surprised to hear that I've picked a race to train for. As it stands now, I'd like to run the 50 Mile trail race in Sulphur Springs in May of 2008. I may pick a 10 Mile race in December and a 1/2 Marathon race in February/March to use as training.

Running this morning brought back memories of my training last Winter where I would do tempo runs on Tuesday mornings at 6 AM and then eventually some track work as well. Even though I didn't achieve my goal at the 2007 Mississauga Marathon, I'll never forget the training that I did and I know that it made me a better runner because of it. Sometimes we all need a little push now and then to get us over the hump.

No comments: